“Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers – strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength”Barbara Katz Rothman, PHD.
What is a Doula?
A Doula is a professional trained in childbirth who provides emotional, physical, educational and spiritual support to a birthing woman in pregnancy, birth and beyond. The Doula’s purpose is to support the birth giver to have a safe, memorable and empowering birth journey.
Having a Doula has a lot of benefits during birth:
- 25% shorter labour
- 50% reduction in Caesarean rate
- 60% reduction in pain relief (epidural) request
- 40% reduction in analgesia use
- 40% reduction in forceps delivery
…as recorded in Mothering the Mother by Klaus, Kennel & Klaus.
“If a woman doesn’t look like a goddess during labour then someone isn’t treating her right”Ina May Gaskin
Birth Doula Package
As a Doula, I journey with women during the birth of their baby, offering support for a safe and positive birth experience. I draw upon my extensive childbirth knowledge, training and experience to provide emotional support, physical comfort and clear information for women and their birth partners.
I am independent and self-employed so as a Doula I work for the mother and birth partner, not your caregiver or hospital/birth-centre. As a Doula I am present to provide for your comfort and emotional and spiritual support.
During your pregnancy I will offer guidance, support and resources for you so that you can prepare yourself for your birth and your parenting journey. I am passionate about keeping families informed and supported throughout pregnancy. I will also provide you and your families with tools and ideas on how to relax, connect with your baby and connect with each other.
I can provide reassurance and perspective to you and your partner, make suggestions for labour progress, and help with relaxation, massage, positioning and other techniques for comfort. As well as helping to set up your birthing space and help make it an environment you want to birth in.
During labour, my focus is entirely on what you need. Wherever and however you choose to birth, and no matter how the birth unfolds, my role is to keep your birthing space feeling safe, and to help maintain a positive energy and give you the space to experience your sacred transformation.
I help facilitate communication with caregivers, hold space for you, provide you with spiritual and emotional support, and attend to practical needs, freeing you and your partner to experience birth together, without outside distractions.
I can cuddle older siblings, support mums in birthing positions, offer cues and support and space to partners. I can gently suggest a range of tools to facilitate relaxation and maximise opening.
The birth Doula package usually looks like this:
- 2 x pre natal visits with you and your partner / midwife or you alone as appropriate (approx. 1.5-2 hours each) to discuss birth plan (this may include debriefing previous birth) and birth visualisations/preparation
- Phone consultations in late pregnancy to check in and discuss questions
- The birth – this includes being on call 24hours for you 2weeks prior and 2weeks post your ‘due date’. Supporting you through labour and during the birth. I would usually also remain with you for 1-2 hours as needed, or until you’re comfortable and you and your family are ready for private time together
- 2 x post-natal visits (approx. 1.5 hours each): both in the week after the birth. During this time, we can review the birth and I can provide advice and referrals for information or additional support, as required. I can check in on feeding and support both you and your partner in adapting to life with a newborn. Additional post partum support can be made available at additional cost (see Post-Partum Doula Service below).
I like to meet with you and discuss in detail your requirements and design a birth doula support package that will suit your needs. I’m also really flexible and we can tailor a package that incorporates some of my other offers (Hypnobirthing, Post-partum care etc) together into something that works for you.
Contact me for details and costs.